- 3 bananas (the riper the better)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups wholemeal flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup honey (use maple syrup if fructose intolerant)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt, low fat
Optional Crunchy Topping:
- ½ cup walnuts or macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ cup brown or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
Preheat oven to 180°C
Grease and line a muffin pan with grease proof paper.
In a blender, blend the bananas for 1 minute. You want most of your mixture to be soft but it is good to have a couple of larger bits to increase flavour.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender and blend for 1 minute until smooth and then pour batter into pan. Make sure you only blend for a maximum of 1 minute as over blending them can result in a stretchy muffins.
If using the crunchy topping, place the nuts, oil and sugar in the blender and pulse until mixed but still chunky. Using your hands sprinkle along the cake just before going in the oven. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds to finish.
Place the pan on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes before turning onto the wire rack to cool.
FODMAP friendly if using maple syrup and lactose free/soy yoghurt.
|Nutrient||Per serve (1 muffin with topping)|
|Energy – kJ||732|
|Energy – calories||174|