Click this video link to cook along side our very own SDA President and Advanced Sports Dietitian Simone Austin.
- 1 medium (120g) Carrot, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen or canned corn
- ½ cup frozen spinach, chopped, moisture squeezed out
- 1 cup (125g) tasty cheese, grated
- ½ cup tasty cheese, grated, extra
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup natural yoghurt or fermented milk (e.g. Filmjolk, Kefir)
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ cup spring onion, green part, finely chopped or finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon parsley or other fresh herb, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (250g) self raising flour (could use 1 cup wholemeal SR flour, 1 cup white)
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F
- Place the spinach and zucchini onto kitchen paper or a cloth and wrap it and squeeze out excess water, to avoid having soggy muffins.
- Place the eggs into a mixing bowl and lightly whisk.
- Add in the zucchini, spinach, carrots, chives, parsley, peas and sweetcorn and mix. Add the cheese (not the extra), milk, yogurt, olive oil, paprika and stir until combined.
- Mix the flour slowly into the wet ingredients until just combined. Stir as least you can as over mixing causes ‘tough’ muffins.
- Spray or grease a 12 hole muffin tray with oil. Spoon the mixture, equally, between the 12 muffin sections. Sprinkle the extra cheese equally between each muffin so the muffin browns nicely on top when cooking.
- Bake for 15-20 mins, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes to cool and then cool further on a wire rack.
- Freeze extra muffins if desired.